Perfect for a Fall Day, this take on the classic French Onion Soup will work with almost any flavor of our Balsamic selection. We chose to use Avocado Oil for it’s light freshness and it’s ability to cook at higher temperatures.
Caramelized Balsamic - Red Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Vintage Merlot Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Caramelized Onion Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (Spicy Brown Mustard works well)
- 6 cups Beef Broth
- 1/8 teaspoon Pennsylvania Pepper Blend (Pepper Grinder Recommended)
- 6 slices French bread
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat for one minute.
- Add the Avocado Oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and then add the butter.
- Once it melts, add the sliced onions and Vintage Merlot Sea Salt, and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Add the Balsamic Vinegar, soy sauce, and mustard, stir well, and cook for five minutes.
- Add the Beef Broth, and turn the heat to high. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Prepare the Crouton
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and cook for five minutes.
- Carefully remove the sheet, and turn on the broiler.
- Divide the Gruyere cheese between the slices of bread.
- Set the sheet under the broiler for however long it takes to melt the cheese, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the sheet, turn off the heat, and set aside.
- Season the soup with black pepper and, if needed, more salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a crouton. Serve immediately.
**White Balsamic will compliment this recipe well and give you an even bolder flavor.
Using Avocado Oil will keep the soup light but you can use any Oil that you prefer if you don't have Avocado Oil.
Caramelized Onion Soup Recipe Bundle
This recipe bundle comes with all of the spices, oil and vinegar used in the recipe. Choose from Small (1 Batch) or Large (3-4 Batches).
Caramelized Onion Dark Balsamic
Vintage Merlot Sea Salt
Pennsylvania Pepper Blend
Additional Ingredients you'll need to supply (NOT included in kit):
Butter, Red Onions, Soy Sauce, Prepared Mustard, Beef Broth, French Bread and Gruyere Cheese